WEEK 6: 10 Week Declutter Challenge
Last week we decluttered the bedroom. Let’s move on with the 10 Week Declutter Challenge by cleaning out and organizing the closet! You should really be into this process by now because you are seeing the effects first hand. I know that you are seeing a change in you space, stress levels, and a decrease in cleaning time now!
So, let’s get going on the next challenge!
Welcome to the week six challenge!
This week we are going to tackle the closet! We are now going to start addressing items that may have monetary value and/or sentimental attachment. You may come across items that are hard to let go of, clothing that you spent a great deal of money on, and things that people gifted to you. Remember: you’ll feel better if you downsize and let these things go. Try to get rid of 20 items or more. Don’t get overwhelmed with organizing or cleaning because I will walk you through it step by step. Donate or recycle what you can and chunk the rest!
10 Ideas to Help You Declutter Your Closet:
1. Tanks – How many tank tops do you have and how many do you actually need? Basics are great: I have found the best tank in the world and now have them in basic black and navy as well as orange and hot pink. Get rid of tank tops that have holes, don’t fit properly, duplicates, and ones that haven’t been worn lately.
2. Shirts – Go through your shirts and get rid of anything that has rips, stains, or doesn’t fit properly. If you wouldn’t buy it now in the condition it is in then it needs to go!
3. Pants – Try on your pants and only keep pants that are in good condition and fit properly.
4. Dresses – Look at your dresses with a critical eye. Pull out dresses that are too short, too low cut, in poor shape, or don’t fit into your core wardrobe ideals. Keeping a cocktail dress or two is fine! …but do you need 8?
5. Skirts – Try on your skirts and only keep skirts that you wear often or are versatile. Skirts that are too short, are damaged, or don’t coordinate with your tops and jackets should be donated.
6. Sweaters – Get rid of sweaters that are in poor shape, have pulls, and are ill fitting.
7. Sweatshirts – Look through your sweatshirts and get rid of excess sweatshirts and any that have damage.
8. Jackets and Coats – Try on your coats and jackets. Keep only the versatile pieces and limit statement pieces.
9. Accessories – Go through your accessories and donate or gift away duplicates, pieces that you don’t wear, and items that aren’t really your style.
10. Shoes – Old shoes, shoes that need repairs, shoes that aren’t comfortable, shoes that don’t get worn, shoes missing a mate(?!) should be donated.
If you would like to rebuild your wardrobe and read more in depth about how to clean out and organize your closet, check out my post STYLE: The Perfect Closet.
How did you do? Comment below!
Did you miss Week 1? Start here with The Week One Challenge!